Bratton is the largest of the four parishes in the BECIE benefice with a population of around 1300.
About nine services a month are held in Bratton, either in the church of St. James the Great or in Bratton Church Institute.
The village enjoys many social events promoted by church members including the Church Fête, a Plant Sale, a Safari Supper, Open Gardens, a Duck Race and Christmas Wreath Workshop.
Safeguarding is very important to us. A statement of our policy can be viewed from the Governance link on every page of our web-site.
The church of St. James the Great is set on the edge of the village in a combe on the site of the ancient village of Little Stoke. It is a small but striking listed building of Saxon origins, which imbues a certain intimacy to all our worship.
The church is surrounded by a beautiful churchyard.
It can be reached either by foot via a stepped causeway from the village, or by a long climbing lane which stops at a car park next to the church gate.
There is a peal of six bells which are regularly rung before services.
The Church Institute is in the centre of the village on Tynings Lane.
We use it for our more informal services such as Sing Praise, which is held jointly with the Baptist congregation, Footprints and Café Church and for occaisional services such as the Nativity you can see here.
The garden of the Church Institute is the venue for an annual Plant Sale and the Church Fete.
We recently held a service entitled Hymns and Pimms at which we used the Church Institute for a Communion service followed by Pimms in the garden - "thirst after righteousness!".